logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wrunning  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:15:46 PM(UTC)
wrunning

Groups: Registered

For quite some time now I've been having issues with EVE running in VM's.
Upon last patch, these were the annoying issues that I recall:

- the performance of EVE in a Windows XP VM is really bad;that made me move to Windows 7 guests
- the login splash screen is quickly blinking and rather annoying, but the good part is was that it went away after that login screen
- usually one (and just that one) of the several clients that I run in a VM becomes quite unresponsive (not completely dead, but everything happens with a variable, rather large delay) after a while and need to be restarted ; this happens on rather rare occasions

After the last patch, there seem to be some general texture problems, for example the UI disappears and quickly reappears (just as a blink) and some artifacts are shown around the screen.
As the very lazy person that I am I've been ignoring them, but maybe it's time to look into it...
I must mention that this happens running the plain EVE client nonetheless.
Anybody else been having any of these issues? Managed to diagnose and/or fix any?
Sponsor

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

-=OTO=-  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:53:31 PM(UTC)
-=OTO=-

yep..., I have problem with UI after 1.1 in my vmware player, I was hoping this is my old amd radeon hd 6450 but I will tray to install vm workstation with hope that this will fix UI problem :)
wrunning  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:05:19 PM(UTC)
wrunning

I'm not sure if that will be of much help to you.I'm running Workstation 8 and the issues are still here.
daman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:05:58 PM(UTC)
daman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Originally Posted by: wrunning Go to Quoted Post
For quite some time now I've been having issues with EVE running in VM's.

- usually one (and just that one) of the several clients that I run in a VM becomes quite unresponsive (not completely dead, but everything happens with a variable, rather large delay) after a while and need to be restarted ; this happens on rather rare occasions

Do you have any snapshots turned on, or are you using linked clones (which uses snapshots to work)? This used to be a known problem with eve in vmware. Would run fine for a few minutes or even hours and then FPS would slow to < 5.
wrunning  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 10:19:07 PM(UTC)
wrunning

No linked clones and no snapshots.Also, the VM system itself is working fine, just one client is problematic.The FPS reported by the EVE monitor are at 25+, but the UI is very unresponsive and incoming/outgoing calls from the client are processed with huge delay (up to a few minutes).I managed to detect such problems from within the client and have it restart automatically, but it's still annoying.
Even more annoying are the new issues with the continuos flickering of textures.
PoorNewb23  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 8:11:06 PM(UTC)
PoorNewb23

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I'm suffering with same problem.
Ever got a solution for it?
wrunning  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2012 10:00:41 PM(UTC)
wrunning

Originally Posted by: PoorNewb23 Go to Quoted Post
I'm suffering with same problem.
Ever got a solution for it?

No, I actually haven't even tried to debug it.The fix is to restart the client.
dawtips  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:52:22 AM(UTC)
dawtips

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I am having the same issues in VMWare Workstation 8 with Windows 7 64-bit. Randomly, the UI will update very slowly and pretty much become unresponsive.
herpderp  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:23:39 PM(UTC)
herpderp

If you are seeing strange/delayed client behaviour in your vm the most likely source is oversubscribed processor time. Failing that it could be lack of memory or choked I/O but Eve is not sending huge amounts of information per second so the bottleneck is likely to be processing capacity on the cpu or lack of memory.

I don't have any of these issues apart from the blinking, which is not a major problem. Two dual core vms on a first gen i7, HT on, 3GB ram each with virtualising extensions on, workstation 8. Eve client is set to the most basic graphical settings and I am using cloning.

Check task manager in your vms to see what is eating CPU. Check it before and after loading eve clients. If you are running single core vms then you are going to bottom out your vm with more than two clients. I can run three clients at around 95% average cpu utilisation (total across 2 virtual cpu). If I add a fourth then workstation starts queuing cpu resources and the clients can end up doing all kinds of weird things and never return to a stable state. It does concern me a little how this extreme 'desync' might look at the logserver end, but I have no real expertise in that area to make an informed opinion.

If you want to get your geek on and really get to the bottom of the issue, fire up perfmon in the vm and take a look at cpu utilisation, processor queue length, disk wait times, pages in/out per sec, memory utilisation.
dawtips  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:57:01 PM(UTC)
dawtips

My host is a 2500k, GTX 560, with 16GB RAM. I have allocated one core to the VM and 4GB of RAM, and am only running one client. Looking at task manager, before and after, yields no discernable evidence as to what the culprit is. CPU and RAM usage are well below 50%. My host resources look fine as well and my hard drive is not being taxed at all.
dawtips  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:12:54 AM(UTC)
dawtips

Originally Posted by: wrunning Go to Quoted Post
I managed to detect such problems from within the client and have it restart automatically

Hi wrunning, can you share this detection code?